Sunday 11 September 2011

Workshop Visit and Track Day

Friday, 9th September 2011

I made the 125 mile journey to Raw's base in Hereford along with my mate Aidan (who I have managed to convert to the Kit Car Scene) to look around their workshop and take a test drive of the Striker.

The guys at Raw were very welcoming and helpful and most importantly open to questions (no matter how daft) which was good, as I had around 50 of them that I had noted down.
2litre 150bhp zetec powerplant
After a chat and a nose around the workshop I got to take out the Striker Demo Car. This particular car was based on their core Striker kit, with a 2 litre 150bhp zetec under the hood running an Omex 600 ECU system.


I know the Striker is a compact, lightweight Lotus 7 inspired car but it did not dawn on me quite how much smaller it is, especially when compared to my rather roomy Robin Hood Sub-K until I jumped into the Driver's Seat. This is not a problem though, once strapped in I felt very secure and space wasn't an issue. In fact I had to have a pad behind me in order to reach the pedals sufficiently. I took the car for a quick blast down the road, what a joy it was to drive great fun, plenty of power and responsive, shame I was unable to take it out for longer.

Pretty in Pink

Once back at base, Callum from Raw took me out in a 1.6 litre Toyota Powered Striker, but this one was a supercharged machine developing some 220bhp, all I can say is this car is seriously quick.

After a very useful and enjoyable couple of hours we headed on our way.

Saturday, 10th September 2011

Callum from Raw had kindly invited me to a Track Day at Llandow Circuit. After attending a briefing at 9am the Track was opened up for some adrenaline fuelled tyre screeching fun.

High-Speed passenger ride

I was luckily enough to have around 15 high speed laps as a passenger and then after lunch I got to pilot the car around the Track for some not so high speed laps, anyway 10 laps of great fun, I could have easily kept going.
Exiting the pits

Shame I coundn't go on

I managed to hop out the car before the heavens opened and on that note decided to call it a day.

Many Thanks to Callum and Raw for a great couple of days.

3 comments: